Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Flying US Domestic First Class

Flying in first class conjures up images of absolute luxury, service, space, and comfort. This is especially true these days when airlines are stuffing more people and bags in overhead bins on to less planes. I don't know anyone that enjoys having the seat in front of them end up in their lap when in recline. I certainly don't enjoy being touched by strangers as we "politely" fight for armrest space.

I've had the fortune of flying domestic first class due to my airline status on United Airlines for free a number of times. My most recent was on a short stint on SFO-LAX. 

How nice is it really? (Not international first class nice)

ANA First Square Seat, 1K 777-300ER

Hard Product
In frequent flier talk the hard product mostly refers to the seat, in-flight entertainment system, and the aircraft. The seat is typically a recliner with larger armrests and more legroom in a 2-2 configuration. Yep. No middle seat. No need to arm wrestle. 

The in flight entertainment system is non-existent these days citing cost and weight. In fact United even asks you to bring your own device so that you can entertain yourself! At this point the outlet to keep your device powered isn't always going to be available though. WiFi is also becoming more common but you have to pay extra for it and it is still pretty spotty. 

In terms of aircraft you'll usually have narrowbody (single aisle) aircraft - A319, A320, B737-300/500/700/800/900ER, B757-200/300. Sometimes you'll get the subsidiary or contracted flights on the CRJs, or ERJs. Avoid those. Occasionally there are airlines that fly widebodies (twin aisle) in a dense domestic configuration to places like Hawaii or Florida. My personal favorite for domestic flights is the Boeing 757-200 or 300. Engineering wise they are awesomely overpowered planes. Passenger comfort wise the first class is usually at the front part of the plane and you actually turn left rather than right to get to your seat. See what I mean about the mysticism of first class? 

United Domestic F seat, Boeing 737-900
But then there are the transcontinental flights (New York to Los Angeles for example) which are deemed high revenue flights. Then you get a lay flat seat....I love this one. How can you not like a lay flat seat?? My only gripe is that if you are seated in the window you will have to climb over your seatmate to get to the aisle. You also get a really nice big touchscreen to watch movies and TV on.

United Domestic BusinessFirst Seat, Boeing 757-200 (JFK-LAX)

Soft Product
Soft Product in frequency flier talk refers to the service, amenities, and food. It is well known that domestic US carriers usually have some of the most unattractive and unhappy flight attendants around. This is true of any company where you have the good and bad ones. But more often than not you have the unhappy one that just throws your plate of food onto the tray. 

Amenities? None unless you are flying a transcon flight (New York to Los Angeles) where you'll get an eye mask, toothbrush, and toothpaste. You do get to board the airplane first and get off first. You also get the occasional glance of jealousy.

There was a time when flying meant getting fed in the air no matter what your seat was. These days you'll be lucky if you even have enough time to not have to chug your non-alcoholic drink. Even in first class you're lucky to have a full meal. A flight like SFO-LAX will either get you a breakfast scone or a snack basket. At the very least you do get a pre-departure beverage that includes alcohol selections. You get to sip on your sparkling wine while you watch all those economy people board after you. 

A full on meal service in F is pretty nice. I feel it is pretty nice probably because I don't actually get it all the time. When I can get it for free heck yea I'll take it! I can see how it could get old for some really high value fliers though. After takeoff you usually get nuts and another drink. Large glass cups this time. None of that plastic cup crap that they serve for the plebians in the back of course.

Takeoff snack
Then some flight attendant will take your order from the printed menu and start your meal. Tablecloth first and more wine please.

Appetizer and salad

Then the main.

Pork chop main
And then...dessert. These days you can get the dessert served from a cart on the transcons.
More alcohol please. 

The United Airlines sundae
All of this while people on the other side of curtain behind you either eat nothing or pay for their meals to be tossed on to their tray tables. If you want alcohol you have to pay for it.

People
Any experience can be enhanced or ruined by the way others act around you. It could be a particularly helpful flight attendant that makes your bad day better. It could be someone with a fake passport being arrested on arrival (actually saw this happen on a flight). 

...Or it could be one of my pet peeves that really ruins my day. 
I was flying in seat 1E recently. It's an aisle bulkhead seat and I had one guy to my right in 1F at the window. He felt compelled to put his feet up on the bulkhead only his feet kept on migrating upwards. It got to an elevation that an airplane would be jealous of. He even felt compelled to take off his shoes (kept his socks on) but I damn near wanted to puke at that point. He wasn't particularly smelly. It's just I don't like to see people's socks and feet on furniture and especially not at my eye level. 

Dramatization from http://www.passengershaming.com/
He's definitely not the only one to put their feet up on an airplane. It is unfortunately as common as people putting their feet up at movie theaters.

On the other hand there are some awesome people to be next to on a plane. For me it is flying with BT, friends, or family. I don't get to do it as often as I'd like. I did also have the pleasure of sitting next to an American Airlines captain before in economy. It was one of the most pleasant flights I've ever had. We got to geek out on airplanes for the entire flight. 

Since I look pretty young I do get looks of jealousy when flying in first. Interestingly it is usually from other females. I notice usually it at the boarding gates or while everyone else is boarding. I won't forget this one time while boarding in Milwaukee, WI. I was the first to board a flight and this lady who had been waiting at the gate was so aghast that someone was boarding ahead of her that she almost tripped over her bag trying to catch a glimpse at my boarding pass to make sure I wasn't just some kid trying to jump the line. 

Bottom Line
 I do enjoy the perks of it. I'm almost certain that I would never pay for domestic F. In all honesty, I don't enjoy jealous glances from strangers. It is amusing sometimes but I would rather just quietly fly in my own little assigned space with my larger than usual glass of water. Is it necessary? Depends on who you ask. Is it worth it to get status to be able to upgrade to it? Depends on how worth the mileage game is to you. 

Entree, ANA F

Bonus Overheard Quote
"They fly in row one AND they get their luggage first?"

No comments:

Post a Comment